Friday, January 2, 2009

Hi y'all. So, we've had some interesting weather around here the past few weeks...mostly in the form of a foot+ of snow, which NEVER happens. I can't recall a time in my childhood where Portland had that much snow, or the city shut down for a whole week. We're just not equipped for that. The week before Christmas break was spent mostly working from home, in an effort to not get stuck in the snow. J works across the street from where we live, so he had no such luxury...his office refused to shut down, so he walked to work. Thank goodness we bought new snow boots the Saturday before the snow started to fall!

It's been pretty clear here for about a week. Sure, there are piles of former-snow-turned-ice all around, but for the most part the ground is clear of snow. I woke up this morning to a nice dusting all over the ground. Normally, I would be happy to see some snow, as we rarely get any, but lately it's just been a nuisance. I just get annoyed. I think I would feel better if Portland were more prepared for snow that falls, instead of all the roads closing and us getting stranded places.

Anyway, this made me think of weather-related incidents that may happen on wedding days. As my wedding is in September, the likelihood of snow is quite low, but it is Portland, after all...we may get rained on. I hope it won't be that big of a deal, but I would like to take my wedding photos outside, and I don't want the hem of my dress getting THAT dirty. Rain would definitely make a ton of mud to besmirch my dress. Luckily, our ceremony and reception will be inside, and both will be at the same location, so we won't have to worry about troubles in transportation.

J and I are attending a wedding tomorrow (first of 10 for the year). I can't even imagine what must be going through the bride's head right now...waking up to MORE snow on the ground. I know she was having difficulties in the last few weeks getting stuff together, because she couldn't get around in the snow, and many of her vendors weren't open due to the snow. I'm sure everything will work out for her in the end, but yeah...keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to deal with that kind of anxiety!

No comments: