Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Last weekend was very productive in terms of wedding-related tasks. We managed to show J's parents the ballroom, which they hadn't seen before. They both thought the ballroom was very pretty and it would be a beautiful place for our wedding.

We did have one problem with the ballroom, though. I had been previously told that the ballroom was wheelchair accessible, but upon inquiring again I was informed that the ballroom is not, in fact, wheelchair accessible. This wouldn't be a problem except that J has an aunt that is mostly confined to a wheelchair. I am pretty sure we wouldn't be able to get her chair into the ballroom. This is kind of a problem if she chooses to come to the wedding. I am not sure what to do about it at this point, but I feel awful about it. I am a bit upset at the ballroom for telling me one thing when it wasn't really true, but what can I do now, I suppose. I really hope this works out.

My last bridesmaid also picked out her dress this weekend, so the dresses are all ordered! I am pretty excited about this, as two of my bridesmaids may be inaccessible this summer, so the earlier the dresses come in, the better since they can get them altered earlier. Interestingly, no two girls picked the same dress. I wouldn't have cared if they did, but it is kind of fun that they will all have different dresses. Only one dress has a sash too, which will be in a contrasting color. Still, I like the choices my girls have made. They will look very pretty on the wedding day. (Yes, I will eventually get around to doing the bridesmaid post!)

Additionally, J and I asked one of our friends to be our officiant. J and I had never really wanted to hire someone to officiate our wedding. One, it costs money, and two, the person just won't know us as well. It was really important to both J and me that whoever married us knew both of us as people and as a couple. Unfortunately, most of the people we see are either friends of mine or friends of his, and we don't have a lot of friends that fall into the overlap category. Most of those are also in the wedding! However, we ended up asking N, my roommate from law school, to officiate. She has known both of us for the two and a half years that she and I were friends in law school and has seen both of us together a lot, as J would come down to visit me a lot in Eugene. J and I are both super excited for her to officiate our wedding (though we had to tell her no rapping and no poetry. :) No Mandarin poetry/rapping either.). I am sure she will do a great job.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That's going to be so much fun to have N but I think you should allow her one poem. Prescreened by you of course. : )

iSnack2 said...

You should consider threatening to report the ballroom for an ADA violation...

Other than probably getting off on the wrong foot, it might otherwise convince the ballroom folks to straighten up their act. ;)

Natasha said...

I totally agree with Emily. I mean N would love to do a poem. Here's one:

J and M are going to get married
Luckily only one of them is hairy-ed
J and M are so cute and so silly
Even when they are over the hilly