Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I feel very un-creative for the remainder of the details I have to pick out for the wedding (which is, you know, basically all of them). I read tons and tons of wedding blogs, browse tons and tons of wedding sites, peruse tons and tons of wedding magazines, but everything I see is either something I can't afford, or something I can't hope to recreate on my own. I'm just not that creative! Since I don't want to spend a fortune on wedding decorations, I'm thinking my decoration is going to have to be more creative, out of necessity.

The main thing I am worried about is flowers. I don't want to spend too much on them! The main things I wanted to spend on for the wedding were photography and food. Flowers are beautiful, but they die within a day, and are super freaking expensive. Those wedding magazines tell me that the "cheap" bouquets (you know...the affordable version of that gorgeous bouquet) go for at least a hundred, on average. Seriously? for flowers? This is where the miserly side comes out.

So yeah. No ideas for flowers. I will likely need centerpieces (but candles? those can work...?) and some sort of arrangements to define the aisles better for our venue. I'm scared of how much that'll cost me. Does anyone have any ideas?

2 comments:

JenG said...

Although I know the sourcing of the flowers is kinda evil, you can often get a bunch of flowers from Costco really cheap. If you have a reasonably simple idea of bouquets or centerpieces you want to do, that can work. It is also cheap enough to do a couple of dry runs. Some green florist tape and ribbon finish the package and you're set.

Other idea is to use potted plants that you will then want to have at your house (or close relatives at theirs). That way you get a little bit more out of spending so much money.

Megan said...

Marie! Check out Martha Stewart living; she has tons of great ideas for bouquets that look beautiful but use flowers that aren't super exotic or expensive. Like sweet peas and stuff.

Also, when my friend Brooke got married in May, she did isle decorations that consisted mostly of ribbon bows with just one or two flowers tied in them, and she did every other isle. It looked great and saved her a ton of money.