Monday, November 10, 2008

documented for posterity

For some reason, I felt really anxious about booking a photographer. As soon as J and I booked the Arista as our venue, I started looking for a photographer. Since J and I have been to so many weddings over the past year, I've really gotten to see a lot of photographers' work and been able to figure out what I really don't like.

For instance, I'm not so into the posed shots that come across sort of cheesy. Poses like the groomsmen all hold the bride, or everyone jumps in the air, have never really been my style of photography. We even went to a wedding where half the photos were taken at a 45 degree angle for no apparent reason. What's the point of that? What do you do with photos like that? They don't make 45 degree angle frames.

Anyway, I really didn't know the first place to look for photos. One of my friends from high school had beautiful photos, but unfortunately her photographer was booked for my wedding date. Damn! I resorted to searching on myportlandwedding.com, and luckily, it worked out beautifully for me.

We ended up booking April Greer, a photographer based out of Tacoma, Washington. I am completely and totally smitten with her photos and her style. It's beautiful! She makes great use of color, and I love that her photos are less staged, run-of-the-mill photography and more capture-the-moment.

Some of her work:
I absolutely love her photos! I'm really excited to have April as our photographer. We met her in Portland one afternoon after she did an engagement shoot for another couple. I love that engagement sessions are included in any of her collections. She says it's to ensure the couple gets comfortable with her before the wedding day, and I completely agree. It's important to not be too self-conscious on your wedding day, I think. Plus, engagement photos were a must for me...since I won't be able to have the quintessential downtown Portland wedding photos, I will get downtown Portland engagement photos. Now I just have to find another pretty day in Portland! Hopefully they're not all gone for the winter.

1 comment:

Emily said...

She looks awesome!! Congrats on finding somebody good.