Tuesday, February 24, 2009

centerpiece inspiration

I've been taking a mental break from wedding decor lately. Not only is it not my forte, but I don't have strong opinions on anything so I can't really make decisions about the decor easily. I've written about flowers/centerpieces before, I know. But, what if we didn't do floral centerpieces?

I previously posted a Weddingbee photo from Mrs. Avocado's centerpieces. They're super cute, but the more I look at them, the more I don't think they tie to the feeling of our wedding. They're more vintage than I think our wedding is going to be.

I've collected a few photos of decor we might be able to pull off. Anyone have any thoughts?



I really really like that one in the bottom row in the middle. The floating flowers in the water filled candle look really neat! I think the floating candle within the vase also adds something nice. However, I tried to do a submerged flower type thing with a tulip. The tulip didn't stay down because it was too buoyant. I'm not sure what florists do to keep the flowers down, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to recreate that on my own. The other candle ideas in the photos are pretty as well.



Flowers mixed with candles in holders of varying heights and widths. This one is cute as well. I don't know how expensive it would be though for all those candles and glass to put the candles in.



Candles tied together wtih a ribbon. This is pretty and modern. Also would be pretty inexpensive, as there are only three tall pillar candles and some small votives. J and I have already purchased three dozen votive candle holders, as we found them on sale for super cheap. We could use purple or gold ribbon to tie our colors into the decor.



My current favorite. These paper flowers are super easy to make, and branches can be found anywhere random, like parks. The only thing I'm still pondering is in what kind of vessel the branches could be displayed? I'm not sure what sort of vase or bottle would be asian-ey or irish-ey.

6 comments:

iSnack2 said...

I like all the photos you have except maybe the top left one. Maybe it's because the picture is real small on my laptop, but it looks like crocheted bags to me. :P And you should be able to find all sorts of vessels at a rental company or with your florist. Even if you don't use the florist for your centerpieces you will likely use them for your bouquets and boutonnieres. They'll probably rent them to you even if you have flowers scattered around them or even not on the tables at all.

Call me some day! We'll share stories of our wedding planning anguish. :)

On a random note, my word verification is "inglys" which I read as a horribly misspelled version of "english."

JenG said...

For vessels of whatever kid, that place Down to Earth in the Yoog always had funny vases/glasses. You also might be able to find something at a restaurant supply store or online. Simple vases or even "tumbler" style glassware could work. The paper roses/branches idea is cool. And I can donate some curly willow branches from the tree in my parents backyard if you need them.

Emily said...

I love the paper flowers. Are they really easy to make? I also think the ribbon around the candles is totally you. Simple and modern. : ) You could find some cool ribbons that go with your color scheme.

Emily said...

I just ran across these also. Cool? Weird? I can't decide.

http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=585&f=4088&q=cylinder+vase&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

marie gets married said...

Em - weird! I can't decide either. I like them as a candle holder, but as a vase I'm not so sure. Almost seems like a not-so-good copout.

Jen - thanks! I may take you up on the branch offer. I'm going to test out the paper flower idea by getting some colored paper, so we'll see if it works. I might be able to find asian inspired vases. Or I may be able to somehow incorporate the design of the forthcoming save the dates into the vases. design will be unveiled soon. :)

Ctang - def. will do! and perhaps blogger is just that bad at "inglys"

Elizabeth said...

I really like the paper flowers with branches...super cute, and easy because you could make all of the pieces ahead of time, and wouldn't have to pay mega bucks to a florist.